Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Prayer

If there’s one thing I suck at (besides posting blog entries really late) it’s praying.

I understand the need to pray (Romans 12:12), the command to pray (Luke 18:1), the privilege (Romans 5:1-2) and benefits of prayer (James 5:13-18), and all the theological reasons why I should pray but I can’t seem to actually get myself to do it.

When I first converted, I thought prayer would get easier as I grew spiritually. I thought it would somehow someday come naturally. Six years later, it doesn’t. At all.

For a while, I got into the habit of saying short prayers throughout my day. “Thank you, God, for this amazing view,” as I drive westward at sunset. “Lord, please help me,” before taking a difficult test.

And that kept me satisfied for a while, but eventually I yearned for more. It’s funny how that yearning has worked in my life, though. Instead of leading me to deeper longer prayer times, the dissatisfaction I’ve felt led me cut even the tiny amount of prayer time I already had.

We’ve been slowly reading through RC Sproul’s Five Things Every Christian Needs to Grow with our discipleship kids. The second chapter is about prayer, and boy was it helpful.

Sproul explains the importance of prayer in the first part of the chapter and then moves on to practical advise he himself learned from a booklet by Martin Luther. The two things that stood out the most to me were his encouraging to set time apart specially for prayer and to pray through Scripture.

Praying from Scripture and through Scripture are two very different things, he said. The first just involves reciting verses and repeating parts of the Bible. The second means taking a portion of Scripture and using it as a guide to your prayer. This is how Jesus intended for us to use the Lord’s Prayer in Matthew 6:9-13.

So instead of running through a recitation of Jesus’ sample prayer, you stop wherever you need to elaborate in your own words. As Sproul puts it, “to pray through the Lord’s Prayer is to focus attention on each of the petitions for a time.”

Last night, I set my alarm to go off at 4:30 in the morning; a whole hour earlier than usual. Granted, I didn’t actually get out of bed until 5:15, but I had some time for prayer before getting ready for school. I took me a few minutes to figure out the most comfortable prayer spot is actually in my closet, but I finally got to pray.

5:15 was the perfect time. The whole house was quiet. There were no distractions but my own wandering mind (which I have at least some control of). It was great. Both tips worked. I got to spend more time in direct communion, speaking to my God, than I had in months.

I’ve heard a lot of people claim their day goes better when it starts in prayer. Others have said it changes their morning from dreadful to cheerful. I don’t have any claims like that, but I will say the satisfaction of being able to praise God, to obey his command to pray, and to finally feel close to him again is far better than any other benefit I could have gained. I can’t wait for my alarm to go off again tomorrow at 4:30 am.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails