Monday, January 18, 2010

Proverbs 31 Challenge: Trustworthiness

The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain.

Proverbs 31:11

Whether or not you have a husband does not change the fact that this verse applies to your life. Yes, the husband plays an important role here, but that does not mean all you single ladies get a free ride on this verse!

Proverbs 31:11 is more about the woman's trustworthiness than it is about her husband - its main point is that she can be trusted by the person who has authority over her. He knows he can trust her wholeheartedly and is not afraid that she'll betray him or bring him to ruin. He is confident that she won't do anything he doesn't agree to, their home is safe while he is away, and he won't have to worry about his family's financial well-being because of her.

I can't help but think of the classic I Love Lucy plot line: Ricky goes off to work in the morning after warning Lucy not to do anything crazy, Lucy gets herself and her sidekick Ethel into loads of trouble, Lucy tries to hide evidence of this trouble before Ricky comes home, Ricky returns and finds Lucy's mess. No matter how many times I've seen each episode or how predictable the scenario is, I Love Lucy always gets me laughing. What's funny on TV isn't always funny in real life, though. What would happen to a relationship like that in real life? What if my husband always had to be afraid of leaving me home alone? What if my boss didn't trust me to even send a fax without getting into trouble? What if my mom had to always call me to make sure I hadn't spent my last penny on a useless piece of junk? What would those relationships look like?

The bottom line is, a godly woman has to be trustworthy. We are to reflect the God's character and one thing for sure is that God is trustworthy. We never have to be afraid that he'll go back on his promises, forget to take care of us, or do something evil. Let's work on being trustworthy ladies this week.   

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails