Monday, February 15, 2010

Proverbs 31 Challenge: Sleep Less

She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens.

Proverbs 31:15

My husband says he hates sleeping. He sees it as a waste of time. I imagine he thinks of all he could do with six extra hours every day.

Although I love even the tiny amount of sleep I get each night, after this weekend I have to agree with him. Since I went back to school a month ago, I've use the tired student excuse to sleep almost until noon on Saturdays and Sundays (service starts at 6:30pm). Richie and I then have a long relaxed waffle breakfast, watch a movie, and then begin to wonder if we should actually get started with our day yet.

We had my dad over this weekend, though. He's always been an early bird, getting up at 5 in the morning even on Sundays. At 7, I knew he'd already been up for a couple of hours and I couldn't keep him waiting for our usual lunch-time breakfast.

I got so much more that Sunday than any other Sunday in the past 5 weeks! Who would have thought, right? Those few extra hours in bed were worth giving up because I got to spend quality time with my dad (who I rarely see), caught up on housework I'm not able to do any other time of the week, spent time doing things I like, and felt good about being so productive. It really made my Sunday so much better.

The woman described in Proverbs 31 knew the value of waking up early and getting a head start. She knew her day would be more productive if she helped even her workers get their day started instead of waiting for them to wait on her.

I may miss my four lost hours of sleep in the next few weeks, but I know waking up a bit earlier will pay off as long as I don't deprive myself.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails